National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Three Polls to challenge the RFU in Clubhouse Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Three Polls to challenge the RFU in Clubhouse Chat

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2024 at 17:19
While I appreciate the intention behind these polls, even if we got everyone who attended a Championship or National League match to sign them, that is unlikely to be more than 35,000.

What the "powers that be" will point to is the 75,000 who went to Twickenham for the Big Game and 10,000+ to each of the other four premiership matches. 

Sweeney Delenda Est
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2024 at 17:26
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

While I appreciate the intention behind these polls, even if we got everyone who attended a Championship or National League match to sign them, that is unlikely to be more than 35,000.

What the "powers that be" will point to is the 75,000 who went to Twickenham for the Big Game and 10,000+ to each of the other four premiership matches. 

I understand Camquin but if we have a few hundred votes that are circa 97% against the RFU's views that will enable these statistics to be quoted and put in front of the National Media and the RFU. The opposition to what the RFU is proposing isn't marginal..........so far only about 2% of respondents are in favour of what the RFU are doing. I have run many polls on Rolling Maul......I have never seen such an almost unanimous response!

If we do not show the strength of opposition the RFU can spin their shenanigans as being accepted by the game at large. This is clearly not the case.

We have to register our dissent and Rolling Maul is a very good forum to do it!

THE THREE POLLS ARE IN CLUBHOUSE CHAT

Please vote and encourage everyone you know to become a member of Rolling Maul and vote.We need to make our voices heard!
''The future isn't what it used to be''
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 08:21
Rolling Maul has nearly 1,800 registered members, surely we can get a few hundred members interested enough to vote? Apathy and non participation will aid the RFU's cause.

THE THREE POLLS ARE IN CLUBHOUSE CHAT

Please vote and encourage everyone you know to become a member of Rolling Maul and vote.We need to make our voices heard!

Edited by Big Eddie - 05 Jan 2024 at 08:23
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 10:00
Does the forum have functionality to email registered users?
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 11:07
The problem Big Eddie is that you are talking to an audience that have an interest (for different reasons) in the proposed changes - i.e those clubs and supporters in the current Championship and National 1 and they will probably have a biased view on them.  

What you are not doing it talking to the clubs and supporters outside of this small group who will feel they no effected by any of the changes - and it those that you need to motivate in order to get the changes that you want to see. 

I watch different levels of the game each week and most of the feedback from the 'Community' game is that they don't care about anything that doesn't directly affect them.  What you have to do is show that the changes been made or the changes you want to make do affect them.  So far I am not seeing this reflected in any proposals. 

Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
Greg View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 12:36
I applaud Big Eddie (and others) for trying to raise awareness but until these 'alleged' proposals are aired publicly and receive coverage from national broadcasters and news outlets this will remain a very low priority for most rugby fans. 
There has not even been a collective statement from Championship clubs yet.
What has The Rugby Paper got to say this week? 
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 13:10
Originally posted by Richard Lowther Richard Lowther wrote:

The problem Big Eddie is that you are talking to an audience that have an interest (for different reasons) in the proposed changes - i.e those clubs and supporters in the current Championship and National 1 and they will probably have a biased view on them.  

What you are not doing it talking to the clubs and supporters outside of this small group who will feel they no effected by any of the changes - and it those that you need to motivate in order to get the changes that you want to see. 

I watch different levels of the game each week and most of the feedback from the 'Community' game is that they don't care about anything that doesn't directly affect them.  What you have to do is show that the changes been made or the changes you want to make do affect them.  So far I am not seeing this reflected in any proposals. 

Richard, I understand your point but I do believe these issues are fundamental to how the club game in England is administered by the RFU

Am I able to post a succinct post on each of the sections of the Rolling Maul setting out why I believe these issues matter to all rugby clubs and then directing them to the Clubhouse Chat section to post in the Three Polls?
Nat1 View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nat1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 17:31
Agree with the posters who highlight the good intentions of these polls, but also the futility of them. You'd need 10s of thousands of votes and a vested interest from national sports media outlets for any of them to run a half decent spread on the state of semi pro rugby in England. There just isn't the interest aside from the 8 - 10 clubs that Prem 2 stands to affect. Even if all those clubs' fans got a petition going, it wouldn't scratch the surface of the 100s thousands of England fans/Prem fans. Someone else already said it, have a clean break between the pro and semi pro teams - Ealing, Donny, Cov and Pirates up, everyone else go into a national semi pro league witj current Nat 1 teams and be done with it. Accept that the top table is a business, the RFU is run by powerful, if not incompetent people, and be happy with competitive 'community' rugby every week, without scrimping and scrabbling about trying to be something they're not - ie a professional rugby club employing elite level athletes. It wouldn't be so bad.
*Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 18:00
Originally posted by Nat1 Nat1 wrote:

Agree with the posters who highlight the good intentions of these polls, but also the futility of them. You'd need 10s of thousands of votes and a vested interest from national sports media outlets for any of them to run a half decent spread on the state of semi pro rugby in England. There just isn't the interest aside from the 8 - 10 clubs that Prem 2 stands to affect. Even if all those clubs' fans got a petition going, it wouldn't scratch the surface of the 100s thousands of England fans/Prem fans. Someone else already said it, have a clean break between the pro and semi pro teams - Ealing, Donny, Cov and Pirates up, everyone else go into a national semi pro league witj current Nat 1 teams and be done with it. Accept that the top table is a business, the RFU is run by powerful, if not incompetent people, and be happy with competitive 'community' rugby every week, without scrimping and scrabbling about trying to be something they're not - ie a professional rugby club employing elite level athletes. It wouldn't be so bad.

Not sure that Pirates will be full time for much longer to be honest.
*Stalwart
rugbychris View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rugbychris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 21:19
This forum isn't conducive to a far reaching survey. Change.org is the way to go. 80,000 signed the petition about tackle height and if phrased correctly this could easily gain as many. https://www.change.org/p/2023-24-tackling-height-in-the-amateur-rugby-union-game
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2024 at 19:30
Originally posted by rugbychris rugbychris wrote:

This forum isn't conducive to a far reaching survey. Change.org is the way to go. 80,000 signed the petition about tackle height and if phrased correctly this could easily gain as many. https://www.change.org/p/2023-24-tackling-height-in-the-amateur-rugby-union-game

I agree in part. Change.org is a better way but I disagree on the numbers. 

Been generous with the crowd figures for the Championship and National 1 clubs, if everyone signed you only will have approx 30k signatures because, and I sound like a broken record here, the issues only affect a small number of clubs and no one is putting forward a convincing argument why anyone outside of this group of clubs should sign. 
Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
Nat1 View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nat1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2024 at 20:09
Yup, you've hit the nail on the proverbial. 

Prem 2, and any of its possible ramifications, is a micro not macro issue, as highlighted in mine and others previous posts. A fact the RFU will know well.
Nat1 View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nat1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2024 at 20:50
Originally posted by rugbychris rugbychris wrote:

Impressive numbers of 80k plus, and a seemingly widespread strength of feeling on the tackle height issue, yet still no nothing tangible brought about by all those signatures to prevent the tackle law changing. Again, a telling sign as to the authority administered by the RFU. And remember, in contrast to the Prem 2 matter, this was a conversation actually affecting all but the 20-odd clubs at Level 1 & 2 nationwide, and thus a macro 'in your thousands of rugby clubs' matter. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic