National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Sell all the RFU's assets to the highest bidder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Sell all the RFU's assets to the highest bidder

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SK 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2024 at 14:32
Originally posted by Big Eddie Big Eddie wrote:

Under another thread in Clubhouse Chat I posted a reply to Richard Lowther setting out how I would engage with all 2,000 Community Clubs to prompt action to cleanse the 'rotten borough' that is the RFU. I have reproduced my post in italics below:

I believe that it is time to uncouple the 10 Premiership Clubs and the rest of the elite game from the 2,000 or so other Community Clubs. All 2,000 Community clubs own the RFU but most of the RFU's resources are directed to the elite game and the 10 Premiership clubs.

The interests of the 10 Premiership shareholders and the elite game are vastly different and the RFU is no longer looking after the majority but only the tiny minority.

Dissolve the RFU by selling all its assets and distributing the proceeds proportionately. The numbers and rationale make perfect sense

As at June 23 Twickenham is sitting in the books of the RFU at a value of some £250m and the RFU has total net assets of £283m

On the basis that I believe King Billy could sell out Twickenham to CVC and divert the cash to the elite game and the Premiership here is my alternative.

1. Member clubs put forward a resolution to sell Twickenham and the rest of the RFU's assets to the highest bidder - after settling creditors and on the basis it currently isn't a forced sale I expect the pot to be considerably north of £1 billion (10 x 2023 Operating profit of £103m before Rugby Investment)

2. The £1 billion is distributed proportionately to Member clubs - say £500k each

3. The Premiership clubs each get £500k as do the Community Clubs

4. King Billy and CVC look after the running of the Elite game and the Premiership.

5. The Community Clubs set up their own organisation which is likely to comprise the handful of people that the RFU previously employed to look after the Community Game

This should happen because otherwise all the underlying assets that in reality belong to the Member clubs will be syphoned off to the uninvestable Premiership.

In any corporate situation where the interests of the shareholders were so diverse......a sale of the assets or the body corporate would be an obvious solution. It is radical but having considered most of the other scenarios I have concluded that any other course of action would just be tinkering and would not address the fundamental issue.

My concern if this radical course of action isn't undertaken is that the 2,000 or so Community Clubs will only see a few crumbs from King Billy's table as most of the resources are syphoned off to the Premiership and CVC. This way each Community Club will get its fair share of the RFU's net assets which will be an equitable outcome.

This would go to a vote of the clubs at an AGM or a Special General Meeting....two thirds would need to approve so checks and balances in place 

This can be done and should be done!

Premiership fan here.

I think this is a great idea and should definitely be on the agenda.  The RFU tries to do everything and therefore fails at everything.

A new settlement where the true amateur participation games looks after itself, as does the nationwide semi pro game & finally the professional game.  If clubs want to pay players they should be regulated differently to true amateurs and if they want to pay them enough to be full time employers they should be stiffer tests again.

Personally I'd perhaps just sell off a stake in Twickenham & retain the amateur clubs owning 60% of it as ongoing income, but yeah I think seperating out functions would be a genuinely good idea.
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2024 at 14:41
The trouble is "shameritism "has gone on since Noah was a lad, people will always cheat to get an edge, just look at Saracens and Bath in the amateur days.
The game below the Championship is of little or no interest to the RFU which is why it is working so well. There is little reason for the RFU to touch the National leagues as they no longer contribute much to this part of the game.
A properly run top two leagues with decent funding and support will keep the RFU more than busy along with the National team.
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2024 at 15:58
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeQ_b9zM67s

This is an old program from rugby special at 30 years old, I tried to get it onto a video editor to give you just the relevant bit, but failed, bit of a luddite here.
Nigel Starmer Smith was talking about the future of the game in the professional era,  right near the end if you want  skip rough the program, someone should send a copy to the RFU.
SK 88 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SK 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2024 at 10:33
Originally posted by tigerburnie tigerburnie wrote:

This is an old program from rugby special at 30 years old, I tried to get it onto a video editor to give you just the relevant bit, but failed, bit of a luddite here.
Nigel Starmer Smith was talking about the future of the game in the professional era,  right near the end if you want  skip rough the program, someone should send a copy to the RFU.

If you click the "share" button with the video at the point you want it start, then click "start at XX:XX" in the pop up window (it will be below the box with the link in) the link generated will take you to the bit you want.
Greg View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2024 at 12:34
Originally posted by tigerburnie tigerburnie wrote:

Thank you, Tigerburnie, for this link. 
I suggest that you all put aside 1 hour and watch the whole programme. For those of us old enough to remember the game over that period it is heartwarming. 
Listen to Cliff Morgan's comments on the style of play he most admired (Cliff, himself, was a wonderful fly half - a predecessor to Phil Bennett, Barry John et al).
The quality of the game then was different but not worse than what we watch/play today. Today, at the top level, the quality of the pitches is better, the players are fitter, the game is faster. Yesteryear the game enjoyed more skilful creativity and less crash bang wallop. Scrummaging took far less time and required the ball to be put in straight meaning that hookers had a proper job to do. 
I'm getting all misty-eyed now so will close.
rugbychris View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rugbychris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2024 at 08:12
Interesting to see how German football fans are reacting to the possibility of private equity firms purchasing future broadcasting rights. CVC are now the last remaining bidder. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68327140

Edited by rugbychris - 22 Feb 2024 at 09:21
rugbychris View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rugbychris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2024 at 09:16
Imagine what might happen if rugby supporters could get behind a common cause and make a positive change https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68362884

Edited by rugbychris - 22 Feb 2024 at 09:20
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic