National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Six Nations 2024

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2024 at 13:17
May not be a shining star but Dingwall is an example of Community Rugby Development at it's best - started M&Y at Cambridge when 6 (or was it 5) and stayed until Northampton came calling.

Key element never addressed at HQ - players made through work of volunteers - but that's the beauty of rugby - the love of the game - until the scavengers come calling.
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2024 at 13:44
He went to Bedford school too.

That's a veritable factory of Saints players.
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2024 at 13:55
Originally posted by Paul10 Paul10 wrote:

As an OB, I am saddened at Bedford's loss of top school standard - in the 60s and unbeaten season was a reasonable expectation - until hockey and now football being on the curriculum. Still a great school, but I'm biased 😲

Edited by FHLH - 11 Feb 2024 at 13:55
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2024 at 14:21
Originally posted by FHLH FHLH wrote:

As an OB, I am saddened at Bedford's loss of top school standard - in the 60s and unbeaten season was a reasonable expectation - until hockey and now football being on the curriculum. Still a great school, but I'm biased 😲

The glory days!
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2024 at 19:00
Originally posted by FHLH FHLH wrote:

Nice place to see Minor Counties Cricket or whatever it’s called these days.
Looking forward to new beginnings.
Greg View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2024 at 19:17
Whilst on the topic of Bedford School, let's not forget that Sir Alistair Cooke is himself an OB.
Greg View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2024 at 19:20
Why is Irish rugby so strong at the moment? Four provincial teams, three of which are competitive in the European Cup. Total population of about 7 million.
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2024 at 19:32
The answer is in your question Greg, regions not clubs
So many Christians not enough Lions
tulip View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2024 at 20:10
To be fair Ireland have only been successful in the last 10 or 12 years. They brought in David Nucifora in 2014 as High Performance Director responsible for all professional rugby. At the time Joe Schmidt was Head coach of Leinster and then became head coach of Ireland.   Nucifora’s pedigree was pretty good in Coaching in New Zealand and Performance director in Australia. Football isn’t as popular in schools in
Ireland with Gaelic Football and Rugby probably more so. Provinces are restricted as to what overseas players they can bring in depending on how it would affect the Irish players 
I see Nucifora and Schmidt have teamed up again in Australia 

Edited by tulip - 11 Feb 2024 at 20:27
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2024 at 21:04
Originally posted by Greg Greg wrote:

Whilst on the topic of Bedford School, let's not forget that Sir Alistair Cooke is himself an OB.

Andy Gomarsall 
Martin Bayfield
George Furbank

(and Al Murray.....) 
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2024 at 11:20
Originally posted by Greg Greg wrote:

Why is Irish rugby so strong at the moment? Four provincial teams, three of which are competitive in the European Cup. Total population of about 7 million.

Dublin schools have some of the best training bases in rugby.
Irish government support (Covid grants not loans)
Shared Aviva stadium with Irish FA
Irish tax law for entertainers (including sportspeople) much more advantageous than UK.

Ulster has had UK and Irish money thrown at it.

Good on them.
Steve@Mose View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2024 at 00:02
Scotland seek admission of officials' error from World Rugby

Scottish Rugby are calling on the sport's governing body to acknowledge that a game-defining mistake was made in the last seconds of Scotland's Six Nations game against France.

The SRU say the integrity of the tournament was in danger of being compromised when referee Nic Berry and TMO Brian MacNeice appeared to U-turn on their decision to award Scotland a match-winning try.

The SRU would like to know how that process played out and want World Rugby to state that an error was made.

Personally I believe that this is a bad route for a union to go down in choosing to challenge in public contentious decisions.  It also deflects attention from the team's own poor decision making and performance - in this match spurning a penalty in front of the posts at half time and a second half kicking duel that achieved very little.
tulip View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2024 at 12:30
I feel sorry for Scotland because I’m 90% sure it was a try but the camera angles did not show it had 100% touched the ground and therefore the TMO couldn’t overrule the onfield decision 
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2024 at 13:13
It was not clear an obvious that a try had been scored, and if it had not been the 80th minute, I think I would have given held up.

But it does look like it was on the foot, then moved to the side and down. And had I seen that, I might have given it. But I would have to be at the perfect angle - and even then it might not have been clear.

The Scots should have done more in the previous 80 minutes - especially in that second half, they stopped playing.
Sweeney Delenda Est
All the Way View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote All the Way Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2024 at 13:36
I do not feel sorry for the Scottish. Earlier in the match they were involved in some of the worst kicking ping pong I have ever seen -- a terrible advert for the game! They should have played more positive rugby in the 2nd half.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2024 at 13:41
Super rugby are apparently going to trial getting rid of the law that if the kicker moves five metres, they put the opposition on-side.

I believe they think that this will give the receiver more options to run, though the result will be the kicker has to chase the kick.

We might see as much kicking, just with more chasing.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Greg View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2024 at 16:48
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

It was not clear an obvious that a try had been scored, and if it had not been the 80th minute, I think I would have given held up.

But it does look like it was on the foot, then moved to the side and down. And had I seen that, I might have given it. But I would have to be at the perfect angle - and even then it might not have been clear.

In thousands of matches across the world without the dubious benefit of umpteen video replays, the decision not to award the try would have been made in a matter of seconds. Why so? Because the grounding of the ball on or over the line was not clear. The correct decision was made, in my opinion.
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2024 at 17:09
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

Super rugby are apparently going to trial getting rid of the law that if the kicker moves five metres, they put the opposition on-side.

I believe they think that this will give the receiver more options to run, though the result will be the kicker has to chase the kick.

We might see as much kicking, just with more chasing.

I like this.

We could even end up with more kicking as this will theoretically create more space.

Who knows? But a good development nonetheless.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2024 at 19:57
World Rugby denies Scotland admission of error against France

World Rugby has no plans to issue a public explanation of the decision not to award Scotland what would have been a winning try against France.

Scottish Rugby called on the governing body to acknowledge that a game-defining mistake was made in the last seconds of Saturday's Six Nations game.

But World Rugby will be sticking to its stance of not commenting publicly on specific officials' decisions and is not expected to issue any clarification to clear the situation up in the public domain.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2024 at 20:03
Squad updates:

England's Manu Tuilagi in their squad to face Scotland

Centre Manu Tuilagi has been included in England's initial 36-man squad preparing to face Scotland in the Six Nations at Murrayfield on 24 February.

Tuilagi, 32, has recovered from a groin injury and is joined by hooker Luke Cowan-Dickie and lock George Martin.

Fly-half Marcus Smith and centre Ollie Lawrence will also join the squad as they continue their rehabilitation.

However, hooker Jamie Blamire, flanker Tom Pearson and utility back Oscar Beard drop out.

Louis Lynagh has been picked for Italy's training squad before their Six Nations game against France.

The Harlequins wing has been called up two days after announcing he would join Italian club Benetton in July.

The 23-year-old son of former Australia captain Michael Lynagh was born in Italy, where his father also played for the Treviso-based club.

Lynagh joined an England training squad in 2021 but was never capped, although he has played for England Under-20s.

Italy head coach Gonzalo Quesada announced the inclusion of Lynagh, who is also eligible to play for Australia, in their latest training squad on Wednesday.

The training camp begins in Rome on Sunday, 18 February, a week before Italy travel to Lille to face France in their next match of the 2024 Six Nations.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>
  Share Topic