National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Rugby codes reuniting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsheathlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2024 at 17:03
Originally posted by Greg Greg wrote:

And, meanwhile, American Football gets more coverage each year and a growing interest at junior age groups. Tragic.

There's a game that is stop start I cannot watch unless highlights.
Cauliflower ear.
sedgley dave View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sedgley dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2024 at 21:23
Perhaps people down south have no idea of the passion with which diehard RL fans hate Union.

Players of each code like and respect the other, and have no problem (except technically) in switching. As a little kid, I supported Bradford Northern, as they were then; I lived near Odsal Stadium. But I got into Bradford GS and played Union from 11 onwards. I have never played RL in my life, or even watched an amateur game.

Nowadays (70 years on!), I find League sterile and boring, mostly, but I think it is a hugely enjoyable game for youngsters, still. Lots of stuff on YouTube, which I started to watch during Covid lockdown.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2024 at 22:31
Most Cumbrian villages have two rugby clubs, inevitably at opposite ends of the village.
You could call it a religious divide, but it is more serious than that.

Sweeney Delenda Est
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2024 at 23:55
Still expect Sweeney to announce three or four teams in the Prem 2  will have Northern sounding names, like Wigan, St Helens, Leeds…
Looking forward to new beginnings.
sedgley dave View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sedgley dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2024 at 00:46
Northern sounding names. How about Scagglethorpe?
ParkBench View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParkBench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2024 at 14:12

And, meanwhile, American Football gets more coverage each year and a growing interest at junior age groups. Tragic.

And with Flag Football* being incorporated into the LA Olympics in 2028 it's going to gain even more interest and possibly even central funding.

* essentially NFL Tag
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2024 at 09:29
Originally posted by sedgley dave sedgley dave wrote:

Perhaps people down south have no idea of the passion with which diehard RL fans hate Union.

Players of each code like and respect the other, and have no problem (except technically) in switching. As a little kid, I supported Bradford Northern, as they were then; I lived near Odsal Stadium. But I got into Bradford GS and played Union from 11 onwards. I have never played RL in my life, or even watched an amateur game.

Nowadays (70 years on!), I find League sterile and boring, mostly, but I think it is a hugely enjoyable game for youngsters, still. Lots of stuff on YouTube, which I started to watch during Covid lockdown.

I'll go to the Challenge Cup final for a day out, proudly wearing my British Lions shirt but I have to agree. League is just so much more dull and predictable. Every game is always "5 tackles, kick and pray then repeat". It is just a slightly faster version of american football. 

Edited by Robb - 06 Feb 2024 at 09:30
Thunderbird View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thunderbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2024 at 10:11
    I have been to two RL world cup finals at Old Trafford, on both occations I was struggling to stay engaged just after half time in fact one of our party left halfway through the second half. It was a good day out , but the main event was underwhelming.
But each to their own and may be I could'nt see the technicalities of the game.
tulip View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2024 at 11:47
My daughter lives in Australia and so every year when I’m over I watch a lot of NRL It’s good to watch,plenty of off loads and passing along the line. Here it’s smash it up the middle as far as you can for 5 phases and of course the usual kick on the 6
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2024 at 12:12
Sounds like you're adopting a few Aussie opinions there.

Wink

There's some very good rugby league going on here.

NRL is franchises, isn't it? No promotion or relegation?
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2024 at 13:06
Originally posted by Paul10 Paul10 wrote:

Sounds like you're adopting a few Aussie opinions there.

Wink

There's some very good rugby league going on here.

NRL is franchises, isn't it? No promotion or relegation?

Clubs not franchises, but no relegation - a new club is added very occasionally
RAID ON
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2024 at 13:10
Thanks
Greg View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2024 at 14:25
Following the recent departures of Union 'superstars', Barry John, JPR, David Duckham, Phil Bennett et al, I can't help feeling that the rugby played in their heyday (i.e 1979-80) was infinitely better to watch. These were 'normal' guys with unnatural skills. They weighed and looked like 'normal' guys and their game was built around speed, guile, and a sense of space. 
I do get a little tired of the crash ball tactics and the attention on big hits. Big men ploughing into big men (concussion anybody?). Where are the dummies, the sidesteps, the sway of the hips, the swagger of passing into space and knowing that a team-mate would be in the right place to run onto the ball.
Can I lend anyone my rose-tinted specs?

Edited by Greg - 06 Feb 2024 at 18:28
Greg View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2024 at 18:26
An interesting chat between two Aussies on the state of Rugby Union in their country.
Is Rugby Union Officially Dead In Australia?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSuRW-3pyjw
backrowb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backrowb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2024 at 07:17
Rugby Union would be a far better watch with only 13 players.

..or would it?
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2024 at 11:18
Originally posted by backrowb backrowb wrote:

Rugby Union would be a far better watch with only 13 players.

..or would it?

As someone who watches a lot of both codes, and despite being a dyed in the wool Mose fan would probably say I overall prefer RL (don't say that out loud very often), my big fear is that the inexorable logic of reunited codes, certainly in England, is rugby league on the pitch, run by the RFU.

Which makes both the union and league sides of me feel a bit sick.
keep the faith
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2024 at 11:25

Following the recent departures of Union 'superstars', Barry John, JPR, David Duckham, Phil Bennett et al, I can't help feeling that the rugby played in their heyday (i.e 1979-80) was infinitely better to watch. These were 'normal' guys with unnatural skills. They weighed and looked like 'normal' guys and their game was built around speed, guile, and a sense of space. 
I do get a little tired of the crash ball tactics and the attention on big hits. Big men ploughing into big men (concussion anybody?). Where are the dummies, the sidesteps, the sway of the hips, the swagger of passing into space and knowing that a team-mate would be in the right place to run onto the ball.
Can I lend anyone my rose-tinted specs?

I don't think you are alone Greg. That's why I prefer watching NL rugby to that of the Premiership. Less "gym monkeys" and less reliance on the so-called "big hits" (since when was a "hit" part of rugby union?). Mind you there are a few big lumps in NL of course but then again there are more big lumps in the general population now than there was in the "good old days".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic