National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Rees Zamitt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rees Zamitt
    Posted: 16 Jan 2024 at 13:10
Bad news for Wales:

Wales and Gloucester winger Louis Rees-Zammit is to leave rugby union with immediate effect to join the NFL international player pathway (IPP).

The 22-year-old, who has been capped by Wales 32 times, described the decision as "painstaking".

He is aiming to earn a spot on an American football team for 2024.

"I am extremely excited to take up a once in a lifetime opportunity to pursue a new challenge," Rees-Zammit said.

Rees-Zammit said the move did not necessarily mean he was retiring from rugby.

"Rather at this age and stage of my life I am excited to explore a unique challenge that has the potential to diversify my skillset," he said.

The IPP gives athletes from around the world the chance to earn a spot on an NFL roster.

The decision means Rees-Zammit will miss the upcoming Six Nations for Wales and is also stepping back from playing for his club Gloucester, where he has spent his whole career.
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2024 at 13:14
Rees-Zammit

But good news for the player who has been offered the opportunity to earn more, just as any of us would do in employment. 

Sportsmen are not exempt from earning decent pay and pay progression - we forget that sometimes.

Good luck to him. Clap

Edited by FHLH - 16 Jan 2024 at 13:17
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2024 at 13:45
Good luck to him. He's young enough to give it a try (no pun intended) and return to Rugby if he's not successful. 
Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2024 at 14:25
Originally posted by Richard Lowther Richard Lowther wrote:

Good luck to him. He's young enough to give it a try (no pun intended) and return to Rugby if he's not successful. 

Yes, struggling to worry about this (and not just because I'm not Welsh) - I care about clubs and structures, and about the players in so far as I want them to be safe as they put on a show for their club or country. 

But it's a free world, and if a player wants to try another sport, or become a priest, or emigrate to Peru, or just pack it all in and focus on his stamp collection then that's no one's business but theirs.

The days when players had to be officially dead to us in RU for daring to go north are gone (thank goodness).

Good luck to him. 

keep the faith
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2024 at 14:51
I imagine him becoming the first NFL punter who also does kick returns...

Good luck to him.

And gutted (welshie).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic