National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

P2 - Divide and Rule

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: P2 - Divide and Rule
    Posted: 28 Jan 2024 at 12:59
I read that Rams are looking for a seat at Bill Sweeney's feast, despite all Championship clubs being against the new scheme. TRP suggests their interest is not based on promotion. Chinnor and others have said promotion & relegation is necessary.

But then that's what the paper says - Divide and rule

See Championship thread for full details 

Edited by FHLH - 28 Jan 2024 at 13:13
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
mose67 View Drop Down
Mini and Juniors
Mini and Juniors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mose67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2024 at 10:36
Also mentioned Moseley, Plymouth and Darlington
stephen
DGS Old Boy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DGS Old Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2024 at 11:43
Originally posted by mose67 mose67 wrote:

Also mentioned Moseley, Plymouth and Darlington

I am certainly not "in the know" but I don't think DMP have put themselves forward for the PremII propositions, I think people are getting carried away starting rumour's and mentioning us because of the arena.
It would be nice to play at level two in the chain but I think we would rather earn it on the pitch by being promoted than be given it because of our facilities.
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2024 at 17:38
People are taking words from journalists’ mouths and making them certainties! 

If someone says to you - are you (DMP) interested in playing at Level 2 because you have a big stadium - you will answer - yes, when we earn promotion. The journalist takes the Yes, ignores the rest and there is the story.

Conor O’Shea has made it clear they are not ruling anybody out at this stage. Anyone can apply but the existing 11 teams have places, unless they choose not to. The other 3 (probably) places will be filled by teams that meet the (yet to be) finalised MOS and can make the step. After that it will be promotion/relegation subject to MOS.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2024 at 17:57
Does anyone have a copy of the proposed MOS that can be put in the public domain?
At one point, it was suggested it would be 5,000 capacity - which would limit the sides that could apply.
But the latest rumours are that it will be 2,000 capacity with a plan for 800 seats - which doesn't.

Sweeney Delenda Est
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2024 at 22:52
Only Draft MOS at present so not in the public domain. Initially the requirement is a ground capacity of 2,000 with an aim to raise it over time to 5,000.

As a point of interest, Esher are licensed for 4,500. We had that many for our Tier 2 match against Northampton and we regularly host over 3,000 for our Fireworks.
CJB1 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Moseley

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJB1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2024 at 23:16
So, obvious question, how do the clubs in the current level 2 shape up to this?
"What I need is a strong drink and a peer group"
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 00:12
Wikipedia lists Ampthill as 3,000, Hartpury as 2,000, and Cambridge as 1,500 capacity.

Though I am sure that Cambridge has had a crowd over 3,000 for the Moseley match last year, and for the match against Shelford when we were both in National 2.

I am not sure if any could reach 5,000 on their current site.
Cambridge could possibly rent Grange Rd, or the Abbey - but the cost would be prohibitive.

Cambridge only have 200 seats, Ampthill possibly fewer.

But the point is, unless there is significant marketing that increases footfall, why would any Championship side enlarge their stadia.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 07:31
Have Ampthill got seats? I thought there whole idea was to move as they couldn’t develop their current ground.

So many Christians not enough Lions
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 09:36
They have a few benches arranged round the bowl

Edited by Camquin - 02 Feb 2024 at 09:37
Sweeney Delenda Est
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic