National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Amateur Club

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2024 at 18:09
Originally posted by Thatbloke Thatbloke wrote:

Here we go - get ready for some East Yorkshire tit-for-tat banter!! 😂😂

Well it's been a while!
All Knwoing All Seeing
One For The Ditch View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote One For The Ditch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2024 at 19:20
Originally posted by Thatbloke Thatbloke wrote:

Here we go - get ready for some East Yorkshire tit-for-tat banter!! 😂😂
I am waiting with bated breath for the Lancashire contribution TB!! Wink
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2024 at 19:54
Well my take on it is that you're either amateur or you're not - there's no in between to discuss
BP Youth View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BP Youth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2024 at 20:15
Originally posted by Yogi Yogi wrote:

I have just read a very interesting article in the latest Rugby Paper featuring an interview with the 
Head Coach of Hull Ionians Joe Makin. In it he expressed his wish for his club to become the leading
amateur club in Yorkshire, using the word amateur on three occasions.

Does this mean that Hull Ionians are considering going truly amateur and maybe ceasing to pay their 
players?

Yogi.
Let me pin my colours firmly to the mast. I am an I's supporter, I enjoy a bit fishing and pedantry. The weather has been poor today and there's nowt on the telly worth watching, so...
Anyone who found this fill-in article on page 47, read it ( more than once, I suspect) and found it very interesting must be a regular reader of the local HDM and BRM, or more than likely just wanted to cast aspersions against local rivals. 
The lad who wrote the article knew nothing about Joe, rang him at work, catching him somewhat on the hop. Naturally enough not every word would be considered. 
However, although the word amateur appears three times it is only once directly attributed to Joe. 

In answer to your question, Yogi. No.

It's only a game
Yogi View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yogi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2024 at 20:18
All these comments make very interesting reading.

Now that Sid has joined in he cannot, or will not, answer my original question - are Hull Iomians 
going to be truly amateur. 

Thank you to BP Youth for answering on behalf of your club.

Edited by Yogi - 08 Feb 2024 at 20:22
What's with you Boo-Boo
BP Youth View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BP Youth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2024 at 20:25
In the context of the article it may have been better if Joe had said the leading community club in Yorkshire, rather than amateur, pleasing Mr Sweeney, if no one else, certainly not Yogi, who seems intent on labouring a point.
It's only a game
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2024 at 21:38
Originally posted by BP Youth BP Youth wrote:

In the context of the article it may have been better if Joe had said the leading community club in Yorkshire, rather than amateur, pleasing Mr Sweeney, if no one else, certainly not Yogi, who seems intent on labouring a point.

Well said BP Youth. 

Years ago, a rugby club was a rugby club. We had no need to distinguish between the present day community clubs, who have various mens/womens senior teams, mini junior sections, volunteers, who give something back to the game and, those clubs who simply fund a 1stXV squad and live/exist off the back of players produced by the community clubs. 

Edited by Sid James - 08 Feb 2024 at 21:38
All Knwoing All Seeing
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2024 at 01:59
Pro/Semi Pro are run/played by paid staff and watched by fans

Amateur clubs are run by volunteers and watched by supporters (and 1st XV pay subscriptions) 
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic