National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Amateur Club

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yogi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amateur Club
    Posted: 06 Feb 2024 at 16:31

I have just read a very interesting article in the latest Rugby Paper featuring an interview with the 
Head Coach of Hull Ionians Joe Makin. In it he expressed his wish for his club to become the leading
amateur club in Yorkshire, using the word amateur on three occasions.

Does this mean that Hull Ionians are considering going truly amateur and maybe ceasing to pay their 
players?

Yogi.
What's with you Boo-Boo
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2024 at 11:32
Originally posted by Yogi Yogi wrote:

I have just read a very interesting article in the latest Rugby Paper featuring an interview with the 
Head Coach of Hull Ionians Joe Makin. In it he expressed his wish for his club to become the leading

Does this mean that Hull Ionians are considering going truly amateur and maybe ceasing to pay their 
players?

Yogi.

I think this depends on your definition of amateur to be honest. For example if expenses are paid at what point do you move from amateur to professional? 

When I played I was a true amateur. No one sensible would have paid for my services and I paid all my own expenses and bought my own kit. I doubt the same is true of the Hull Ionians senior players and quite rightly so if people are paying to watch them play.  

Edited by WEvans - 07 Feb 2024 at 11:32
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2024 at 11:41
Careful, you will start discussing broken time next.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Clive Norling View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clive Norling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2024 at 12:59
Originally posted by WEvans WEvans wrote:

players?

Yogi.

I think this depends on your definition of amateur to be honest. For example if expenses are paid at what point do you move from amateur to professional? 

When I played I was a true amateur. No one sensible would have paid for my services and I paid all my own expenses and bought my own kit. I doubt the same is true of the Hull Ionians senior players and quite rightly so if people are paying to watch them play.  

When the expenses are grossly exaggerated?
Kentish Man View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentish Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2024 at 16:20
For any properly run club expenses cannot be grossly inflated as governed by HMRC rules and if not adhering then it is a payment ( in kind) and therefore taxable income.
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2024 at 17:04
I paid subs to get a shoeing when wrongly accused of being on the wrong side of a ruck.............Wink
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2024 at 19:52
I would suggest replace Amateur with Part time and we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
Yogi View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yogi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2024 at 22:03
Richard,
With respect, not when Joe Makin used the word amateur three times in a national newspaper. 

Edited by Yogi - 07 Feb 2024 at 22:04
What's with you Boo-Boo
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2024 at 09:57

Richard,
With respect, not when Joe Makin used the word amateur three times in a national newspaper. 

You miss the point entirely. 

Remember Wakefield RFC
kingsheathlad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsheathlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2024 at 10:13
If a player is on a contract but only paid a match fee  is that.semi-pro.
Cauliflower ear.
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2024 at 10:51
Depends how big the fee is, doesn't it?

If it's a 2nd job type fee then, yes, semi-pro.

World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsheathlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2024 at 10:54
Thanks Paul.
Cauliflower ear.
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2024 at 11:01
Originally posted by Paul10 Paul10 wrote:

Depends how big the fee is, doesn't it?

If it's a 2nd job type fee then, yes, semi-pro.

A contract requires a quid pro quo, in Rugby presumably payment for playing, so the size of the fee is irrelevant, it's the fact you are getting any fee that tips you into the professional sphere.

The Semi part would come in under this dictionary definition "receiving payment for an activity but not relying entirely on it for a living" 

Remember Wakefield RFC
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2024 at 11:25
Thanks Richard.
👍 
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsheathlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2024 at 14:36
I'm guessing in National 1,no players are fully professional,perhaps have full time jobs ,so match fees could be pocket money to cover travel to club for training and games.
Cauliflower ear.
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2024 at 15:24
I thought Rosslyn Parks players were  pro and full time, not sure why I thought that, sure someone on here said so, of the others I'm not sure. Not all the Championship are full time pro either are they? The Lions  say on their Pitchero site, that they are a semi pro side, what ever that entails.
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2024 at 16:13
Originally posted by Clive Norling Clive Norling wrote:

Originally posted by WEvans WEvans wrote:

players?

Yogi.

When the expenses are grossly exaggerated?

Yes Ashley that was what I meant.
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2024 at 17:55
Originally posted by Richard Lowther Richard Lowther wrote:

Richard,

You miss the point entirely. 

Quite correct Richard.

Over the years, Yogi's Club have repeatedly 'missed the point entirely' when it comes to paying players.
All Knwoing All Seeing
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2024 at 18:02

players?

Yogi.

Joe also mentioned Hull Ionians 2ndXV, the Ramblers team, the Senior Womens team, the very successful Mini Junior Section and the army of Club volunteers.
Have you anything to say on those points?
All Knwoing All Seeing
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2024 at 18:08
Here we go - get ready for some East Yorkshire tit-for-tat banter!! 😂😂
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic