National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Halfway point kind of

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Halfway point kind of
    Posted: 11 Feb 2024 at 18:31
As we have kind of reached the half-way point and have a bit of a break, I don't know how you feel about your own teams performances.
For me Blues, have done ok, started off strong, unlucky against Ealing but have had a disappointing post Christmas and hope we can regain the pre Christmas form.  It feels weird and a long season that we only have 3 home league games remaining to May!  The next home game is 23 March (ignoring Bristol 1 March) with 3 away games to come first. 

Pirates have probably slightly overperformed, whilst Coventry are the underperformers, as I really expected them to challenge Ealing.  Nottingham started off strong like they have done for a few seasons and have faded away.

Edited by The Blues - 11 Feb 2024 at 18:33
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2024 at 18:52
9 matches until the end of the season in May.
6 free weekends (one Jersey/Bristol game).

Making a Pigs Ear and RFU springs to mind.

Looking forward to new beginnings.
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2024 at 19:29
Meanwhile in Nat 1 & 2 we have had 18 games with 8 to go by the end of April. Really feel champ clubs have been short changed and needs to be a meaningful 14 team league with promotion & relegation 
So many Christians not enough Lions
*Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote *Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2024 at 21:35
Very pleased with the way The Pirates have performed so far. With a lot of change in personnel I expected it to take time for them to gel. There seems to be a very strong togetherness in the squad and the commitment shown by them all is exceptional. We are still missing a few key players through injury, and if we can get them back, and the rest keep reasonably fit I'm hoping they can keep the momentum going. It's been a tough few weeks with successive away trips to Coventry, Bedford and Ealing. Two wins out of those three was a pretty good return. Yet another away trip (to Caldy) is our next league fixture! Our last home league game was 27th Jan, the next home league game is 10th March! How are clubs meant to generate income with a fixture list like that? It's almost as if The RFU are setting us up to fail!
*Stalwart
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2024 at 21:45
Ealing have been a bit strange to watch. I look at their roster, and they have so many quality players that I'm excited to see who they put out each week, but I'm also frustrated that it seems that they can't settle on a nailed down first 15. I think this leads to a lot of games where they are not much more than the sum of their parts as players don't learn how to play with each other in a match situation. A luxury problem, but one that I think does exist. Outside of a surprising loss to London Scottish, they've mostly gotten the job done. I think that the most recent game against Pirates was their most complete game of the season, as they really dictated the pace and action (which surprised me a bit to be honest).
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2024 at 07:51
Doncaster Knights have run hot and cold and based on their performances are about the right place in the league - their performances vs Ampthill and Caldy are the biggest let downs (no disrespect to both those teams but if we were expecting to do well those two games should have been wins, well done to them for stopping us in our tracks)

Pirates -  are the surprise package (all considering what everyone, virtually, thought early season). Well done them 👏

Ealing -  should be smashing everyone in front of them but as alluded to by Gerg the lack of consistent team selection is impacting their ability to do so (although they are doing more than enough)

Coventry - I am dumbfounded as I thought they would push Ealing all the way.

Bedford - like us running hot and cold so I would say they are similarly about the right place in the league.

The mid table gang Hartpury, Nottingham, Ampthill and Caldy are putting in some good shifts.

Honourable mention to Cambridge who are finding their feet and making teams have to generally work hard to get the win.

London Scottish pulling off the surprise of the season by beating Ealing have otherwise performed as expected 
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
Rob C View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2024 at 12:17
I can only speak for the Coventry home losses but they have both been to what you might call workmanlike teams - well coached and doing the basics very well and taking their opportunities when presented.  The scrum and rolling maul are still king and perhaps Cov seem to be falling foul of refs a bit more this season.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic