National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Premiership Cup Semi Final

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2024 at 14:41
20 minutes from kick off. Weather is perfect (13 degrees and sunny, no wind). Ground is buzzing. Just finished a pint. C'"mon Yeeeealing!
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2024 at 15:23
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

Dan Richardson completes the set...

I still haven't found out what happened to Ben Woollett

Ben Woollett returned to Sydney mid-way through the season, I was reliably informed yesterday...

back on topic, 6-0 to ET after 1st quarter of S-F
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2024 at 15:48
HT: ET 6 LT 12
KnightsBoy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2024 at 16:15
Ealing strike first in the second half

ET 9 LT 12
KnightsBoy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2024 at 16:31
ET 14 LT 22
ChrisB View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2024 at 16:41
Sorry to interrupt but a fair amount of drivel from the TNT pundits on the question of the Prem, promotion, relegation and financial stability...
ChrisB
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2024 at 16:43
Austin Healey spouting drivel, surely not.
Sweeney Delenda Est
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2024 at 16:47
FT 21-29. ET were just a point behind as clock passed 78 mins, but an intercept sealed it...
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2024 at 16:47
Ealing 21 - Leicester 29 FT. Leicester intercept and one phase to score at 79'. Great match. All in the balance right to the end.
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2024 at 16:49
Well done Ealing- you kept the Tigers honest all the way to the end 👏
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2024 at 17:46
Tigers were under no illusions here, they knew a match sharp unit like Ealing would be a handful and so it appears to be, pleased the Tigers didn't over cook the side, but they wanted a win so picked a side that was up to doing the job and Ealing made it very difficult.
Good advert for the competition.
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2024 at 18:15
Two Ealing breakaways and  we managed to spoil the last pass for two open try opportunities. Then we give two interceptions for two Tigers tries. 

It was such an enjoyable game but goes into the history books as a win to Tigers.

Edited by No 7 - 18 Feb 2024 at 18:58
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2024 at 19:13
Originally posted by No 7 No 7 wrote:

Two Ealing breakaways and  we managed to spoil the last pass for two open try opportunities. Then we give two interceptions for two Tigers tries. 

It was such an enjoyable game but goes into the history books as a win to Tigers.
Great summary mate of a really good contest - both teams pushed it to the limit. I was proud of Ealing lads today.
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2024 at 14:17
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

He really is well past his sell-by date nowadays. He has turned from an insightful analyst into a tabloid one with his constant hysterical interjections. "He is very seriously injured" generally means the player recovers and carries on within minutes. "That's a definite red card" is usually followed by a review in which no foul play is the result. He adds very little to a game in my opinion. 
Whistle watcher View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whistle watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2024 at 16:47
I like him. 
oneagainstthehead View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneagainstthehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2024 at 16:56
Originally posted by WEvans WEvans wrote:

Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

He really is well past his sell-by date nowadays. He has turned from an insightful analyst into a tabloid one with his constant hysterical interjections. "He is very seriously injured" generally means the player recovers and carries on within minutes. "That's a definite red card" is usually followed by a review in which no foul play is the result. He adds very little to a game in my opinion. 
He is also quite happy offering lightly veiled criticism based on inaccurate facts. On commentary he twice quoted an attendance figure of 2700. This I believe represents just the sold out standing tickets, to which must be added approx 1700 seating tickets (approx 500 unsold) to give a more accurate estimate of attendance.
Speak softly, but carry a big stick.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2024 at 17:23
Sadly there is a clear bias against anything not PRL, you don't want to read some of the carp on the Leicester Tigers official forum, there are some very embarrassing posters with attitudes reminiscent of Victorian Mill owners. It is all about them being entitled and looking down from their ivory towers being more than just disdainful about clubs "beneath them".
I have tried to mediate and offer the middle ground, I shall not being defending the fans on there on this forum anymore, the attitude some have is really disappointing, I remember when rugby fans used to claim the higher moral ground above the likes of soccer fans, they don't hold that ground anymore.
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2024 at 18:40
Originally posted by tigerburnie tigerburnie wrote:

Sadly there is a clear bias against anything not PRL, you don't want to read some of the carp on the Leicester Tigers official forum, there are some very embarrassing posters with attitudes reminiscent of Victorian Mill owners. It is all about them being entitled and looking down from their ivory towers being more than just disdainful about clubs "beneath them".
I have tried to mediate and offer the middle ground, I shall not being defending the fans on there on this forum anymore, the attitude some have is really disappointing, I remember when rugby fans used to claim the higher moral ground above the likes of soccer fans, they don't hold that ground anymore.

I took a look at the Tigers forum, and I have to say that it is a bit frustrating, but there was more sympathetic feedback than I had expected. That said, I was incredibly disappointed by the crowd. I do think it was under-reported (something Ealing has huge problems with), but definitely was not a sell-out, and certainly wasn't as well-attended as the Championship Cup final against London Irish in 2019. That said, that cup final was before the ring-fence went up - I believe that is directly depressing Championship crowds.

It certainly didn't help that the tickets were £40 for seats, and £10 for kids. I know half a dozen folks in my son's mini's group didn't go because the tickets were too dear.

The one thing that I would say to all of those tigers forum supporters, is that Ealing just built a £3.4m indoor training pitch, it is only about 200ms from the playing field. So whoever thinks there isn't investment in the facilities is wrong - Ealing would build stands tomorrow if they could get planning permission.

Edited by gerg_861 - 19 Feb 2024 at 18:43
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2024 at 19:28
Sport reflects life sadly, keyboard warriors who speak(type) without putting their brain in gear first, they would not talk like the way they do on line, when in the club house face to face.
Rugby is still alive and kicking in the leagues below the Premiership, but I am more disillusioned each year by the professional game and those who follow it, orangesging their own players/coaches/management, demanding results and frankly out of touch with any sporting ethos, money really did change rugby union and for the most part, it wasn't for the better. They ridicule the Championship because they don't have large grounds and large crowds, but when I ask them what they thought of the game last season where Sale hosted Bristol in a premiership game and the crowd was below 4000, not the end of the world, but it illustrated that rugby is not a sport that draws huge crowds. no one answered my question as to how we address it.
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2024 at 21:58
Ealing lost it in the first 20 mins. They had massive scrum pressure and 2 penalties 5m from the line that they decided to go for 3 points. Ben Ward said he was pleased they took the 6 points! Jersey would have hammered home the advantage, got some yellows cards and 14 points on the board.

Instead De Wee (who would be in the bin every game in the Premiership unless he learnt) got the silly yellow and then a couple of mauls later by Tigers more than cancelled out the 6 points.

It was a good effort by Ealing but a game they will reflect on that could have been won.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic