National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Wasps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirate Pig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wasps
    Posted: 26 Feb 2024 at 10:52
Wasps who accrued over £100M of debt whilst going bust have issued a statement this morning on their wish to return to playing competitive rugby.  "We can now inform you that we have secured the core Sustainable finance and a Stadium in which to play. All we are waiting for is a competition to join that will allow us to compete at the highest level - and one that shares our values." 
Can I suggest that they look at the core values of rugby union of Teamwork, Respect, Enjoyment, Discipline and Sportsmanship and start at the bottom of the league structure and earn their place in the game on the field. I would fully support the championship clubs boycotting their return to tier 2.
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2024 at 11:02
If they have all that. Great! Let them start at the bottom like every other new club as Wasps RFC are dead and buried with no automatic right back to the second tier of English rugby. At least they say they have a stadium so I hope this puts all that nonsense about a stadium in Kent to bed.
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2024 at 11:34
I think they got a politician to draft that statement. It says nothing of practical value - why not name the location for a start?
Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2024 at 11:40
Should the RFU sanction any club joining the club in a higher league than the likes of London Welsh for example had to do, then surely litigation is bound to be successful?
The rules have to be used equally and fairly, is it level 7 they have to begin at?
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2024 at 11:54
Originally posted by Pirate Pig Pirate Pig wrote:

Wasps who accrued over £100M of debt whilst going bust have issued a statement this morning on their wish to return to playing competitive rugby.  "We can now inform you that we have secured the core Sustainable finance and a Stadium in which to play. All we are waiting for is a competition to join that will allow us to compete at the highest level - and one that shares our values." 
Can I suggest that they look at the core values of rugby union of Teamwork, Respect, Enjoyment, Discipline and Sportsmanship and start at the bottom of the league structure and earn their place in the game on the field. I would fully support the championship clubs boycotting their return to tier 2.

I think that's a disgraceful slur. It was only £95m of debt wasn't it? And after all who hasn't accidentally issued a bond they haven't repaid?

(Posted on behalf of Mr Sweeney of Twickenham)
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2024 at 13:02
Originally posted by tigerburnie tigerburnie wrote:

Should the RFU sanction any club joining the club in a higher league than the likes of London Welsh for example had to do, then surely litigation is bound to be successful?
The rules have to be used equally and fairly, is it level 7 they have to begin at?

Technically London Welsh didn't rejoin the leagues. London Welsh Amateur, whom were already in the leagues as a legally separate club, just took on the dissolved clubs name.
SK 88 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SK 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2024 at 13:28
Well it's not a statement designed to win over opposition fans, and it hasn't done that!

Waffling on about values from anyone is cringy from Wasps it is amusing.  
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2024 at 13:52
So, could I buy the IP from say Orrell, find a sustainable source of funds and enter the Championship with a side based in a stadium, in York while I set up a new home Lincoln.

And given a professional Rugby club probably costs North of £4m a year - what is meant by sustainable funds.
Sweeney Delenda Est
*Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2024 at 17:21
Unbelievable.
*Stalwart
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2024 at 18:05
As a professional rugby player, would I leave a paying job to join a former failed organisation who did not honour their debts?............................................hmmmmmmmm
MarkyMark View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkyMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2024 at 18:28
They hit social media hard… asking for pledges…… check out instagram and Facebook…
Geoff DC View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geoff DC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2024 at 18:54
Whilst I don't like booing in Rugby - I think if this ever comes to fruit, Wasps should be booed onto the pitch & every time they touch the ball.

It would send a clear message to the RFU & any player who took the money to play for them
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2024 at 20:42
So, when it comes to debts new Wasps are nothing to do with Wasps.
But when it comes to rugby, they want to claim the history.

Can you spell Doublethink?
Orwell would be proud.

Sweeney Delenda Est
Whistle watcher View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whistle watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2024 at 06:57
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

So, when it comes to debts new Wasps are nothing to do with Wasps.
But when it comes to rugby, they want to claim the history.

ClapClapClap
Rothman2 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Rotherham

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rothman2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2024 at 12:05
Originally posted by Geoff DC Geoff DC wrote:

Whilst I don't like booing in Rugby - I think if this ever comes to fruit, Wasps should be booed onto the pitch & every time they touch the ball.

It would send a clear message to the RFU & any player who took the money to play for them

If they had the audacity to let them play in the Championship, they won’t worry about a bit of booing. By then, the damage will have been done.
Every single club should prevent this at all costs. If they plan on starting so high they may as well let them play in the Prem and cast that division adrift. 

As one door closes…….another one slams in your face.
John Butler42 View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Butler42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2024 at 12:13
This so unbelievable.
OK find a temporary site in the south east to climb the pyramid just like others have had to do.
Anything else would be outrageous !
John Butler
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2024 at 10:41
Originally posted by Rothman2 Rothman2 wrote:

Originally posted by Geoff DC Geoff DC wrote:

If they had the audacity to let them play in the Championship, they won’t worry about a bit of booing. By then, the damage will have been done.
Every single club should prevent this at all costs. If they plan on starting so high they may as well let them play in the Prem and cast that division adrift. 

Careful what you wish for mate this could easily happen.
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2024 at 11:15
This works if they enter the URC. (No idea how)

If they re-enter the English hierarchy by skipping a few levels, it's wrong. 

If they buy into and rebrand an existing club then that is up to that club. Not sure what I think about that.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2024 at 11:45
Wasps amateurs are already in existence and some of their fans are now supporting them, the only people not following the rules are Dalaglio and his leg ends.
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2024 at 16:53
Originally posted by tigerburnie tigerburnie wrote:

Wasps amateurs are already in existence and some of their fans are now supporting them, the only people not following the rules are Dalaglio and his leg ends.

I was at Wasps amateurs last wekend for a nice little minis festival. Lots of quality rugby folks at that club still.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic