National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Round 14 Matches

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nat1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2024 at 21:03
With no Nat 1 rugby his week I thought I'd follow the Champ games and I see Cambridge are currently 42-5 down at Hartpury, conceding at a rate of a point a minute Shocked 

I don't know much about the Champ, but is the step up from Nat 1 that big for most clubs?
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2024 at 21:04
Att 3017

Not bad considering it’s non stop rain.
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2024 at 21:11
Originally posted by Nat1 Nat1 wrote:

With no Nat 1 rugby his week I thought I'd follow the Champ games and I see Cambridge are currently 42-5 down at Hartpury, conceding at a rate of a point a minute Shocked 

I don't know much about the Champ, but is the step up from Nat 1 that big for most clubs?

Pretty much, but there are opportunities to develop and maybe get the odd W
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2024 at 21:28
FT blues 33-54 Bristol
Abbotsman View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2024 at 21:31
FT Hartpury 61 - 10 Cambridge 
Nat1 View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nat1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2024 at 21:40
Originally posted by castleparknight castleparknight wrote:

Pretty much, but there are opportunities to develop and maybe get the odd W

Thanks, and yes it seems that way as Cambridge look to have had a proper hiding this evening conceding 9 tries, and against a fellow semi-pro rather than full-time team (Hartpury certainly use to be semi-pro anyway). 
Bluesman11 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluesman11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2024 at 21:45
Unrelated question, but will Cambridge be showing the England Ireland game somewhere after the Bedford game next Saturday?
Championship Prediction League Winner 11/12
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2024 at 22:39
Originally posted by The Blues The Blues wrote:

HT Blues 12-35 Bristol

Blues have played well and the score really doesn’t reflect the game. Bristol have been more clinical with half of the opportunities on a muddy and wet night.

This is a really good summary.

2nd half was more even but Bristol's attack was always sharper
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2024 at 23:18
Originally posted by Bluesman11 Bluesman11 wrote:

Unrelated question, but will Cambridge be showing the England Ireland game somewhere after the Bedford game next Saturday?

barring the Pope's conversion to Islam between now and then, yes... 
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2024 at 23:55
Squad size and injuries have been problems for Cambridge, along with budget.

We get Jamie Benson back from the Blues next week, and hopefully Joe Tarrant will have recovered from his shoulder injury soon. Both of whom will shore up the back line.

However, Mat Hema is out for the season, and we are missing his running and tackling.

Our big problems seem to be turning possession into points, and then stopping the opposition scoring.
We struggle to break down defences, so we go through phases getting nowhere, then turn over possession and are suddenly thirty metres downfield defending like crazy.

I know Ritchie has eyes on some new recruits for next season, if we can afford them.

As to showing the International after the Blues match - I assume we will. We usually have it on the screens in all the bars. After all, we want you to stay and drink the beer. It is our secret plan for affording new centres for next year.

And don't forget, it is a double header, with the ladies playing first. The Exiles are also at home on the other pitch. 

Buy your tickets - and especially parking online. 
Parking is limited. Nearly half have gone already. 
We are expecting the biggest crowd of the year,

Sweeney Delenda Est
Clive Norling View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clive Norling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2024 at 11:08
[/QUOTE]

Our big problems seem to be turning possession into points, and then stopping the opposition scoring.
We struggle to break down defences, so we go through phases getting nowhere, then turn over possession and are suddenly thirty metres downfield defending like crazy.

[/QUOTE]

And in that one sentence you pose the problem that faces the (whenever it next happens) promoted team from The Championship into The Premiership ... as you go up the leagues one at a time, the step up just gets greater and greater ...
The more experienced team has a better defence and tend to be more clinical in attack (and when you throw in part time players against full time players, it just increases the task massively) ....

Edited by Clive Norling - 02 Mar 2024 at 11:10
Nat1 View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nat1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2024 at 13:26
Originally posted by Clive Norling Clive Norling wrote:

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And in that one sentence you pose the problem that faces the (whenever it next happens) promoted team from The Championship into The Premiership ... as you go up the leagues one at a time, the step up just gets greater and greater ...
The more experienced team has a better defence and tend to be more clinical in attack (and when you throw in part time players against full time players, it just increases the task massively) ....[/QUOTE]

I think you are right, and it's incredible that any of the semi pro Champ teams manage to turn over the fully pro teams from time to time, fair play to them.
On that note, I know you are a Rams supporter and wondered if Rams plan to go fully pro if they beat Chinnor to promotion this year, or if/when they take part in Prem 2 when it starts the season after? 
Clive Norling View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clive Norling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2024 at 15:07

The more experienced team has a better defence and tend to be more clinical in attack (and when you throw in part time players against full time players, it just increases the task massively) ....[/QUOTE]

I think you are right, and it's incredible that any of the semi pro Champ teams manage to turn over the fully pro teams from time to time, fair play to them.
On that note, I know you are a Rams supporter and wondered if Rams plan to go fully pro if they beat Chinnor to promotion this year, or if/when they take part in Prem 2 when it starts the season after? 
[/QUOTE]

National 1 promotion is Chinnor's to lose (with respect to Cambridge, as it was ours to lose last season and we did ) ... all we can do is keep the pressure on them but if they win their last 6 games with 5 point wins, it doesn't matter what we do, they'll go up and deservedly so (as was the case with Cambridge last year) ...

Prem 2? Well it's totally up in the air at the moment BUT what we have done is put in place off the field many things but the 2 biggest are, broadcast quality floodlights and a 400 seat stand, which if necessary, we could easily replicate another stand on the opposite side of the pitch ... we could NOT go fully professional with players unless there was subsistence from the RFU but our CEO Gary Reynolds along with his son Seb Reynolds (DoR) and the rest of the board are very ambitious but at the same time being able to balance the finances between income and expenditure (contrary to what some people say) we do NOT pay huge money to our players (and as a previously high income sponsor, I should know) ... We have a squad of 40-50 players who play 1st & 2nd team rugby and with the demise of LI, this season we've had NO LOAN players what so ever, unlike a number of our rivals ....
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2024 at 15:13
Back to Champ Round 14?
HT Donny 0-10 Cov
Our City,
Our Club
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2024 at 15:17

...... We have a squad of 40-50 players who play 1st & 2nd team rugby and with the demise of LI, this season we've had NO LOAN players what so ever, unlike a number of our rivals ....

One might say that this is the way to play rugby, however the concept of a rugby club is lost at Levels 1 & 2 - with a couple of notable Championship exceptions. 

Foreign players kick the ladder away from aspiring club players, loan players kick it further down the road.

Or is it that I am a dinosaur seeking to watch rugby in it's pureist form?
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
maire23 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maire23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2024 at 15:17
HT at Vallis Way- Ealing 17 Notts 19! 

Absolutely stunned (but as a Notts fan I’m happy) 
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2024 at 15:33
Donny 0-13 Cov
45 mins
Our City,
Our Club
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2024 at 15:36
Ealing 24 (BP) - Nottingham 19 - 44' - Ealing pt, Nottingham yc. Nottingham restarts great today.
maire23 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maire23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2024 at 15:43
Ealing 24 Notts 26
Geoff DC View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geoff DC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2024 at 15:46
Caldy 0 Pirates 19 - HT
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic