National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Round 14 Matches

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2024 at 23:12
You lot still babbling on the Champ Round 14 thread?
Jeez.
Our City,
Our Club
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2024 at 07:46
Originally posted by oneagainstthehead oneagainstthehead wrote:

Full time at Vallis Way

Ealing 52(BP) - 26(BP) Nottingham 

Ealing largely cut out the silky mistakes that plagued their first half.

That's a great way of explaining the difference in the first and second halves at Ealing. To add a bit more to it, I was very pleased that Ealing remembered how to tackle. In the first half, Nottingham made a huge number of meters (or yards) due to missed tackles, often straight through the middle. Couple that with a few bonehead mistakes, Nottingham bravely winning back several restarts, and especially a couple of aimless chips over the top that resulted in the mark being called, and Nottingham were very deservedly in front at the break. 

After the half, I didn't see any more missed tackles, the passing was much crisper, Ealing won a lot more of their restarts, kicked the ball away less, and attacked with ball in hand more to pressure Nottingham. I'm doubly pleased that they managed this with their 3rd choice fly half and scrum half due to injuries, which also necessitated a call up for one of the academy lads, who got his debut.

A final point on this one; Ealing's marketing department did a good job with this one, as they made it a double header with the women's match, created some fun events, and got a good (for Ealing) crowd of about 1600 out, which was very predominantly home fans.
KnightsBoy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2024 at 09:41
Originally posted by Rabbie Burns Rabbie Burns wrote:

Originally posted by tigerburnie tigerburnie wrote:

Originally posted by FHLH FHLH wrote:

Originally posted by Clive Norling Clive Norling wrote:

...... We have a squad of 40-50 players who play 1st & 2nd team rugby and with the demise of LI, this season we've had NO LOAN players what so ever, unlike a number of our rivals ....

One might say that this is the way to play rugby, however the concept of a rugby club is lost at Levels 1 & 2 - with a couple of notable Championship exceptions. 

Foreign players kick the ladder away from aspiring club players, loan players kick it further down the road.

Or is it that I am a dinosaur seeking to watch rugby in it's pureist form?
You'll be expecting the Scotland team to be full of Scotsmen next rather than McBoks lol

Or an English team full of Englishmen (latest non English Finn Smith, born in Scotland to Scottish parents moved to Englandshire). Won’t mention Vinopolas

According to Wiki Finn Smith was born in Warwick, is Wiki wrong?

And you did mention the Vunipolas, both arrived in Britain as children when dad signed for pontypool I believe in 98, in my opinion a massive difference for them choosing to represent one of the British countries.  What I don't like is the players that do the 3 year residency to play, that is the rule I personally don't like, it should be longer, maybe 10 years.

Edited by KnightsBoy - 03 Mar 2024 at 10:11
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2024 at 10:53
Mike Catt, Dylan Hartley and Thomas Waldrom spring to mind as recent ish England players from abroad and of course that famous Welshman George North was born in Norfolk, does it really matter?
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2024 at 11:20
[QUOTE=tigerburnie]Mike Catt, Dylan Hartley and Thomas Waldrom spring to mind as recent ish England players from abroad and of course that famous Welshman George North was born in Norfolk, does it really matter?[/QUOTE

You are correct North was born in Norfolk, but moved to Anglesey aged two, brought up a welshman.  I think using North is a poor example.now Duhan van der Merwe is an example of what is wrong with the current residency rules. He arrived in Edinburgh 2017.
Exiled_Scots View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
London Scottish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exiled_Scots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2024 at 13:17
Originally posted by KnightsBoy KnightsBoy wrote:

...... We have a squad of 40-50 players who play 1st & 2nd team rugby and with the demise of LI, this season we've had NO LOAN players what so ever, unlike a number of our rivals ....

One might say that this is the way to play rugby, however the concept of a rugby club is lost at Levels 1 & 2 - with a couple of notable Championship exceptions. 

Foreign players kick the ladder away from aspiring club players, loan players kick it further down the road.

You'll be expecting the Scotland team to be full of Scotsmen next rather than McBoks lol

Or an English team full of Englishmen (latest non English Finn Smith, born in Scotland to Scottish parents moved to Englandshire). Won’t mention Vinopolas

And you did mention the Vunipolas, both arrived in Britain as children when dad signed for pontypool I believe in 98, in my opinion a massive difference for them choosing to represent one of the British countries.  What I don't like is the players that do the 3 year residency to play, that is the rule I personally don't like, it should be longer, maybe 10 years.

I do believe the rules on residency have been changed by World Rugby to now being a 5 year qualifying period. 
Watch Out - The Scottish Phoenix Club is on the Up!!

Seven down one to go
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2024 at 13:36
Originally posted by Exiled_Scots Exiled_Scots wrote:

I do believe the rules on residency have been changed by World Rugby to now being a 5 year qualifying period. 

Better but not enough for me to stop the international cap mercenaries 
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2024 at 13:39
Selection could indeed be a difficult choice for individuals, now the game is professional, no doubt the money to be had is a big influence.
I was born in England and raised there, but my Dad was a displaced person at the end of World War2 from a country that was "given" to the USSR by the allies(who gave them such right?) My Mums roots go back to Anglo Saxon Royalty, mixed in with some Normans, a Welsh grannie who was Owain Glendower's daughter and another grannie was the daughter of a Scottish King. I have also lived in Paris, Amsterdam, Luxembourg and for the past 20 years Scotland
So England, France, Germany, Sweden, Denmark, Wales and Scotland, who do I choose?
Now where are my boots
Exiled_Scots View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
London Scottish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exiled_Scots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2024 at 17:14

Originally posted by Exiled_Scots Exiled_Scots wrote:

Better but not enough for me to stop the international cap mercenaries 

Yes all international sides use these residency rules to their own advantage when it suits them.

You only have to look when England capped Alex Hepburn on residency grounds who was born in Australia with no connections to England, only for him to change to Scotland. At least Alex’s father was born in Scotland. 
Watch Out - The Scottish Phoenix Club is on the Up!!

Seven down one to go
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2024 at 19:40
I believe Smith was indeed born in Warwick. Whether or not he was, he played his early rugby for Shipston on Stour at least.

Edited by Kimbo - 03 Mar 2024 at 19:40
Our City,
Our Club
cheshire exile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheshire exile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2024 at 21:18
And here was I looking for comments on round 14, such as those from the majority of predictors who forecast a win for Caldy….
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic