National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Richmond v Blackheath Friday night

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Member728 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Richmond v Blackheath Friday night
    Posted: 04 Mar 2024 at 16:39
The 160th game between the  the 2 teams is on Friday night  8th 
As it is international Women's day all women will be let in free
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2024 at 18:50
Only not played each year during world wars and pandemics
So many Christians not enough Lions
Breakdown View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breakdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 06:22
Sorry to be pedantic, but it is the 160th anniversary of the first ever game between the two clubs, which was also the first ever club rugby game, played on Jan 2nd, 1864 on Richmond Green.

The game ended in a 0-0 draw. The two teams then held an impromptu tug-of-war to determine the winner. Unfortunately, nobody knows who won that decider. 

Broken down. Beyond repair.
Nat1 View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nat1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 07:08
Originally posted by Rabbie Burns Rabbie Burns wrote:

Only not played each year during world wars and pandemics

Has this fixture still been played when Richmond and Blackheath have been in different leagues, as a 'friendly'? For example last season when Richmond were in the Champ, and Blackheath in Nat 2 East. 

The match on Fri could be a classic, and very close going on recent form.

Edited by Nat1 - 05 Mar 2024 at 07:09
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 07:38
Yes, when Richmond went to the bottom of the pyramid and throughout their rise back to the Champ it was a preseason friendlies, but as both clubs compete in the same merit table at second team level there have been competitive matches taking place.

Edited by Rabbie Burns - 05 Mar 2024 at 07:39
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 10:42
Good record keeping! I'm trying to remember if fixtures were normally Home/Away in Amateur days or did we play 30+ different clubs - I suspect a mix of both otherwise this would be the ~300th game! 
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
kingsheathlad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsheathlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 13:20
Is the zoo league still going for second teams.i hope I have the correct name.
Cauliflower ear.
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 13:28
I don't think the "Merit table" games were home and away, they alternated each season, Bedford used to be Leicester Tigers opening table game every year, then it was friendlies(if ever there was such a misnomer when playing Welsh sides) and in the later days just before they took the money some cup games and then the easter tours.
Nat1 View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nat1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 17:11
Originally posted by kingsheathlad kingsheathlad wrote:

Is the zoo league still going for second teams.i hope I have the correct name.

The top league in the South for 2nd XVs is the Halbro Raging Bull Shield. This is currently made up of 2nd XV from Champ, Nat 1 and Nat 2 East (Richmond's 3rd XV are also in this league).

Here is a link to the table for those interested:

I believe there are other equivalent leagues across other regions with different sponsors, for example Caldy 2nd XV play in the Cotton Traders Premier League NW. 

If free weekends allowed, it would be good to have a play off between some of the table topping 2nd XVs from across the regions, if only for some new away days!

Edited by Nat1 - 05 Mar 2024 at 17:14
NeverbeentoChinnor View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeverbeentoChinnor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2024 at 07:16
If free weekends allowed, it would be good to have a play off between some of the table topping 2nd XVs from across the regions, if only for some new away days!

I'd be interested to see a Championship rep 15 v Nat 1 rep 15 as an end of season finale....how would our rep 15 fare in such a game...is the gap that large? Who are the standout players in Nat 1 this season?
Nat1 View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nat1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2024 at 08:31
Great idea, I'd pay to watch that, maybe across two legs home and away. Its always interesting to see who makes up the Nat 1 team of the season come May time. 

It would feature a fair few from Chinnor and Rams I'd say, with a smattering from several other teams, especially if loan/DR Premiership club players were discounted - the likes of George Worboys, Tom Curtis and Louie Johnson, to name juat a few at fly half, for example.

British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeverbeentoChinnor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2024 at 09:08
Hadn't realised these teams already existed....googled it and saw Jason Worrall made it a few years ago....I don't think he has featured for Chinnor this season. 
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2024 at 09:52
Originally posted by NeverbeentoChinnor NeverbeentoChinnor wrote:

I'd be interested to see a Championship rep 15 v Nat 1 rep 15 as an end of season finale....how would our rep 15 fare in such a game...is the gap that large? Who are the standout players in Nat 1 this season?
The gap between the top of those two leagues is indeed pretty big IMO.
It'd likely be a rather one-sided game
Our City,
Our Club
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2024 at 09:54
We know. :-(
Sweeney Delenda Est
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2024 at 10:31
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

We know. :-(
Yes, but I really don't think Cambridge are all that far off being competitive/mid-table. The next step (top four) is the big one.
And I know that some will point at the likes of Cov's poor results against lower opposition, and yes, Ealing lost a very strange one - but all sides go through bad patches/off-days. It at least keeps teams on their toes and the league a bit more interesting (in spite of the RFU's blind mismanagement).

Edited by Kimbo - 06 Mar 2024 at 10:36
Our City,
Our Club
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2024 at 13:52
Unfortunately Nat 1 couldn’t plat Champ because of the ludicrous tackle laws which most refs tend to ignore despite the constant reminder from both benches 😱😱
Nat1 View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nat1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2024 at 14:39
That's a very good point, I hadn't thought of that. Still getting use to different levels having different laws. Maybe top of Champ vs top of Prem...although somone else said, the higher you go, the bigger the gulf in standard which I think is true.
fatbear View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2024 at 08:52

Hadn't realised these teams already existed....googled it and saw Jason Worrall made it a few years ago....I don't think he has featured for Chinnor this season. 

Jason Worrall has been injured all season, but is back on the bench today !
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeverbeentoChinnor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2024 at 13:48

I did smile when I saw that...it's all about timingTongue. I presume the same applies to Josh Hodgson who I read is awaiting a call up for Wales having scored 2 tries to Feyi-Waboso's hatrick in the Taunton home game last year. JW is an exciting player to be able to introduce for the back end of the season. 

fatbear View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2024 at 17:35

I did smile when I saw that...it's all about timingTongue. I presume the same applies to Josh Hodgson who I read is awaiting a call up for Wales having scored 2 tries to Feyi-Waboso's hatrick in the Taunton home game last year. JW is an exciting player to be able to introduce for the back end of the season. 

Hodson would have to move to a Welsh region though. He is also injured !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic