National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Promotion to the prem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Promotion to the prem
    Posted: 20 Mar 2024 at 13:18
WILD BOAR 1 View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WILD BOAR 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2024 at 13:24
Can someone explain why Ealing did not apply?

Edited by WILD BOAR 1 - 20 Mar 2024 at 13:25
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2024 at 13:39
They (Ealing) are making improvements to their grounds but I am unsure if other elements such as access "may" be an issue (or they plan on challenging these ridiculous standards in court). Either way if Ealing win the league this season (which is highly likely) I hope they get to have their paly off opportunity and win it on the day.
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
WILD BOAR 1 View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WILD BOAR 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2024 at 13:47
Doncaster Knights was the only Championship club to apply to for a MSC audit and is therefore the only club eligible for promotion. 
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2024 at 15:07
As I said roughly this time last year I fail to see what Ealing's future plans are.

At worst they could have nominated an alternative venue and tried to get into the Premiership before Wasps and/or London Irish are revised and crowd the market.

At the moment it just seems to be throwing money down a plug hole. 
Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2024 at 15:14
..............or maybe they like winning the Championship rather than getting humped every week by the Premiership sides, this theory has been discussed by fans of Newcastle Falcons.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2024 at 15:40
Which will happen first, sustainable hot fusion outside a star, cold fusion, a quantum computer factoring a 2048-bit bi-prime, detection of intelligent life in the universe, or Wasps being revived.

Sweeney Delenda Est
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2024 at 00:12
We used to say the Premiership was a cartel and they were ringfencing.

Now it looks like Ealing are joining the club and adding a 2nd layer to help protect the Premiership by spending a fortune to be the first line of defence!

I am also surprised Coventry didn't apply, given what appeared to be a squad to challenge the top.
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2024 at 08:53
Originally posted by The Blues The Blues wrote:

Now it looks like Ealing are joining the club and adding a 2nd layer to help protect the Premiership by spending a fortune to be the first line of defence!

I am also surprised Coventry didn't apply, given what appeared to be a squad to challenge the top.
I really don't think anyone at Cov really thought there was a chance of winning the league this year. Just being realistic. No point applying.

Our City,
Our Club
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2024 at 09:11
Similarly, Ealing have been turned down twice, and have not substantially improved the ground.
They may simply think that there is no point applying until they get planning permission for a ground that meets the requirements. Which means getting planning permission for more stands.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2024 at 12:31
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

Similarly, Ealing have been turned down twice, and have not substantially improved the ground.
They may simply think that there is no point applying until they get planning permission for a ground that meets the requirements. Which means getting planning permission for more stands.
Which is what Cov have said they've been working on. Covid put that process back somewhat though.
The West and North Stand plans have been showcased a few times, but I have no idea what the current status is - if indeed there is still a 'plan'.
About the only noticeable change this season has been the extension of the fancy marquee at the south end, and moving the Elephant and Castle 'pub' from there to the west side.
Our City,
Our Club
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2024 at 13:51
Question for Coventry:
Is the club positive that when they are ready to make the push, will they pass the audit? Surely if they don’t know the answer, would it not make sense to do the audit, and if anything is found lacking work on those areas so they are ready when their time arises…which I personally feel is something the club is capable of doing
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
*Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2024 at 16:17
I don't think promotion to the financial basket case that is The Premiership is worth the effort and expense required at the moment.
*Stalwart
Whistle watcher View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whistle watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2024 at 16:49
Originally posted by castleparknight castleparknight wrote:

Question for Coventry:
Is the club positive that when they are ready to make the push, will they pass the audit? Surely if they don’t know the answer, would it not make sense to do the audit, and if anything is found lacking work on those areas so they are ready when their time arises…which I personally feel is something the club is capable of doing

I'm not sure we're ready for that yet.  Obviously we always aspire to win the league, as we all do, but I'm not sure (as Kimbo says) that we expect to win it this year.  John Sharp is a smart cookie and has a good team behind him.  

We lost a lot of core players at the end of last season and to have rebuilt in the way we have and to be where we are now is a tribute to the hard work and some shrewd squad building that has been put in by the coaching staff and the players.
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2024 at 16:55

I can not understand your thought process that Ealing Trailfinders are some how in league with the Premiership to keep others out . When a club is non compliant they are simply discounted and any team below skips over them .
Surely you know this .
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2024 at 17:24
Question surely is how many current Premiership owners would jump ship it they had the opportunity? Given a quiet room to consider their options, I suspect all. But there's no way out, so the band plays on.....

Edited by FHLH - 21 Mar 2024 at 17:27
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2024 at 17:36
Originally posted by No 7 No 7 wrote:

I can not understand your thought process that Ealing Trailfinders are some how in league with the Premiership to keep others out . When a club is non compliant they are simply discounted and any team below skips over them .
Surely you know this .
Skips over them?
Only the top-finishing side has the opportunity to contest the one available Prem place, so surely this means the Ealing are blocking the other sides below them.
Or do I misunderstand your statement?
Our City,
Our Club
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2024 at 20:48
Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

Originally posted by No 7 No 7 wrote:

Surely you know this .
Skips over them?
Only the top-finishing side has the opportunity to contest the one available Prem place, so surely this means the Ealing are blocking the other sides below them.
Or do I misunderstand your statement?

Otherwise Doncaster would be guaranteed a playoff which isn’t the case. Why are Ealing spending over £6m a year to guarantee they aren’t relegated from the Championship. They have everything they need to have a go at the Premiership, if they don’t want it, perhaps be happy mid table. 

I would have thought a number of players signed for Ealing partly for the money but also in the hope of the Premiership opportunity.
Rob C View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2024 at 10:30
Originally posted by Whistle watcher Whistle watcher wrote:

Question for Coventry:

I'm not sure we're ready for that yet.  Obviously we always aspire to win the league, as we all do, but I'm not sure (as Kimbo says) that we expect to win it this year.  John Sharp is a smart cookie and has a good team behind him.  

We lost a lot of core players at the end of last season and to have rebuilt in the way we have and to be where we are now is a tribute to the hard work and some shrewd squad building that has been put in by the coaching staff and the players.

We have something special going on at Butts Park - hopefully the Premiership, in its current form, isn't even on the radar... 2nd place would be the ideal target.
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2024 at 13:27
Originally posted by Rob C Rob C wrote:

Originally posted by Whistle watcher Whistle watcher wrote:

Question for Coventry:

We have something special going on at Butts Park - hopefully the Premiership, in its current form, isn't even on the radar... 2nd place would be the ideal target.

Careful with the "something special" line. It's reminiscent of the endless press releases issued by The Cheats as they hoovered up more and more players through cheating the salary cap!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic