National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Regional 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

6 into 3 doesn't go!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6 into 3 doesn't go!
    Posted: 11 May 2024 at 14:45
Originally posted by Sid James Sid James wrote:

Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

If true, it is pretty incredible that Macc would travel to Camborne (324m) but not Chester (33.4)

Agreed, but as the leagues have to be 14 clubs each, who should go West or East from the North rather than Macc?

Lots of people have been discussing this in recent weeks; I'm not saying I have a better option/ ideal solution. I guess the near-neighbours may take each other on during pre-season?
Redted View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2024 at 12:58
Originally posted by Sid James Sid James wrote:

If true, it is pretty incredible that Macc would travel to Camborne (324m) but not Chester (33.4)

Agreed, but as the leagues have to be 14 clubs each, who should go West or East from the North rather than Macc?
I would suggest that Maccs overall travel miles will still be no worse and probably less than Redruth & Cambornes.
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2024 at 09:23

All Knwoing All Seeing
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2024 at 07:45
Ramsale2 View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramsale2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2024 at 22:06
Please refer to the west post.  @Rothman has been doing some initial calculations 
HAVANT TONY View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAVANT TONY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2024 at 17:48
Just heard that we are in NAT2 EAST there was talk of us going West but thank God that didn't happen 
I pity the Camborne v Macclesfield game 11hr round trip I believe..crazy🤪.......Macclesfield WTF !

Edited by HAVANT TONY - 10 May 2024 at 17:58
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2024 at 11:38
I have a list of all leagues down to Level 6.Pm me with your mobile number and I will forward via WhatsApp (refuses to send via email) 

Edited by Thatbloke - 10 May 2024 at 12:42
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2024 at 09:41
Originally posted by NorthernMag NorthernMag wrote:

Was shared by North Rugby yesterday evening

The only thing that I notice is that it says it's not an official RFU page
NorthernMag View Drop Down
Mini and Juniors
Mini and Juniors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NorthernMag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2024 at 08:10
Was shared by North Rugby yesterday evening
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2024 at 22:06
Originally posted by NorthernMag NorthernMag wrote:

Leagues are out

Where?
cobbler View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobbler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2024 at 20:46
Originally posted by Thatbloke Thatbloke wrote:

Ok, let me throw this into the mix! Having just been relegated from Nat2(West) we were looking forward to returning to Regional rugby and some local derbies with old friends and without the horrendous travel and overnight stay costs that rugby at that level brings (circa £60k).
Whilst not yet officially confirmed it transpires that we will be placed in Level 5 North West so from 2 years travelling down to Cornwall we will be required to travel to Penrith, Kendal, Blackburn & Rossendale to name just four. How can this be right?
The problem is that whenever there is a shortfall in North, South or West it is inevitably the Midlands clubs who get the thin end of the wedge and are shifted around to fill the gaps. The sooner we move to 4 leagues at Level 4 and 8 at Level 5 the better.
Oh the standards will drop blah, blah I hear you say but I suspect probably not given that players will generally be available for an hour/hour and a half away trip  but not for games that might take up a whole weekend. 4 league winners at Level 5 play off for 2 promotion places in Nat2 (Winners North v Winners Midlands and ditto South/South East.
To refer to the title of the thread - No 6 into 3 doesn't  go but
8 into 4 most definitely does and makes a lot more sense. Wake up RFU! 
Yes I have just seen a set of teams in Regional 1 Midlands (from a reliable source) that excluded Stoke and Newport, so presumably both have gone to North West.

You have listed 4 teams that are  a good distance away, but the others are all not too far (certainly not far from Stoke, a bit more from Newport).

Fortunately for Derby and Long Eaton it was the North West league that was short of teams not the North East. Alnwick, Blaydon and Percy Park  would have been 3 very long trips. 

Edited by cobbler - 09 May 2024 at 20:56
NorthernMag View Drop Down
Mini and Juniors
Mini and Juniors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NorthernMag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2024 at 17:58
Leagues are out
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2024 at 12:14
Leek stayed up, it was Sandbach and Northwich that were relegated.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2024 at 11:56
I would prefer to call it a "tip-off"! 
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2024 at 11:04
Originally posted by Thatbloke Thatbloke wrote:

Ok, let me throw this into the mix! Having just been relegated from Nat2(West) we were looking forward to returning to Regional rugby and some local derbies with old friends and without the horrendous travel and overnight stay costs that rugby at that level brings (circa £60k).
Whilst not yet officially confirmed it transpires that we will be placed in Level 5 North West so from 2 years travelling down to Cornwall we will be required to travel to Penrith, Kendal, Blackburn & Rossendale to name just four. How can this be right?

Was there a leak?
Dad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2024 at 17:46
If you think you have it bad look at women's rugby, where there is no promotion / relegation to prem and champ 1 is split into North & South

Currently Cheltenham Tigers have been placed in Champ North and have won it by a mile.

That league plays on a Sunday usually and ranges from Cheltenham and Buckingham in the south to novacastrians and Bishop Auckland in the NE.

That is a 250mile 5 hr journey back after a game on Sunday before work on a Monday for £0
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2024 at 09:39
Nobody liked the old system of two leagues at level 4, four at L5 and eight at level L6.
Just cutting out one level leaves most teams back in the same leagues they were, so it is not clear it is better. It certainly would not resolve the issues around the Manchester clubs not wanting to visit Cumberland.

Having three, six, twelve did not really reduce travel, and actually meant more sides were travelling.
And the cup has introduced even more mileage for lower level teams.

I suggested a pattern of three, then nine and twenty-seven, which would have had a lot fewer sides travelling outside their county, but would require a lot of administrative upheaval.

But the pattern cannot solve the problem of numerical mismatches, and you cannot expect the relegated teams to split equally between the lower divisions. There are only two solutions.

Either you transfer teams between leagues, and I know the RFU says there are no transfers, they simply redraw the boundaries, but the effect is the same and the same teams tend to get reallocated.

Or, you can enforce strict geography, and change the number of teams relegated to maintain numbers, a system that has been used in the past and was equally unloved. As the sides in the lower half of a league do not know what they need to do not to be relegated, as between three and five sides can drop.

One thing I would say, is that this is not something that can be solved on the back of the proverbial fag packet.

You actually need to set out what you want to achieve, what compromises you are prepared to accept, and properly model that whole of the pyramid to see how close you can come.

It is not helped by some clubs wanting games for their second XV, and other refusing to play lower sides.

Sweeney Delenda Est
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2024 at 19:32
The problem is that whenever there is a shortfall in North, South or West it is inevitably the Midlands clubs who get the thin end of the wedge and are shifted around to fill the gaps. The sooner we move to 4 leagues at Level 4 and 8 at Level 5 the better.
Oh the standards will drop blah, blah I hear you say but I suspect probably not given that players will generally be available for an hour/hour and a half away trip  but not for games that might take up a whole weekend. 4 league winners at Level 5 play off for 2 promotion places in Nat2 (Winners North v Winners Midlands and ditto South/South East.
To refer to the title of the thread - No 6 into 3 doesn't  go but
8 into 4 most definitely does and makes a lot more sense. Wake up RFU! 

Edited by Thatbloke - 06 May 2024 at 20:34
Archangel View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archangel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2024 at 18:04
The (Southern) Prem doesn't go North much though these days!
Too old but young enough to learn
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2024 at 00:33
Originally posted by Archangel Archangel wrote:

North Walsham now in that league does change the shape and mileage somewhat

I was trying to picture a time with Aspatria, Wharfedale, Tynedale, N Walsham, Mounts Bay & Blackheath in the same league - would put the computer into meltdown. Must be a bit like Premiership travel

Edited by FHLH - 04 May 2024 at 00:33
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic