National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Nat 1 team of the season

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nat1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nat 1 team of the season
    Posted: 07 May 2024 at 16:05
I see TRP have named their N1 team of the season. Its always a talking point between fans, and sometimes even fans from the same club not agreeing.

It's certainly Chinnor and Rams-heavy, which I suppose is to be expected given that they ran clear of the chasing pack.

Its a solid looking team but I personally wouldn't have included Noah Fenton, a quality player but by no means ever present for Taunton, especially towards the end of the season. Someone who was ever present, Arthur Ellis for RP, I would have put at 6 if anywhere, he certainly wasn't the best open side in the league and Max Clementson from Chinnor might rightly feel a little aggrieved.

1. Rukhadze (Albion)
2. Hayman (Rams)
3. Baker (Rams)
4. Swain (Rams)
5. Brockschmidt (Chinnor)
6. Atkins (Rams)
7. Ellis (RP)
8. Ryan (Chinnor)

9. Carter (Chinnor)
10. Worboys (Chinnor)
11. Fenton (Titans)
12. Bourton (Chinnor)
13. Passman (Chinnor)
14. Walker (RP)
15. Pointon (Moseley)
NationalLeagueBadger View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NationalLeagueBadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2024 at 20:49
Fenton went on a gap year but I think deserved his spot, 19 tries in 16 games is impressive and would Taunton have stayed up if he’d been around more?

I’d have had George Merrick in ahead of his club mate Brockschmidt and Fergus Mulchrone in the centre. Sam Daly ahead of Arthur Ellis as well despite only playing half the season.

Not sure on Rukhadze (George Porter still the best for me) but otherwise think they got it a lot more right than last year!
RedPete View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2024 at 09:02
Originally posted by NationalLeagueBadger NationalLeagueBadger wrote:

Fenton went on a gap year but I think deserved his spot, 19 tries in 16 games is impressive and would Taunton have stayed up if he’d been around more?

Not quite a gap year, he played for Ireland U19 mid April and for Taunton in the final game. Personally, I don't believe his unavailability was the reason we were relegated, we won more games without him.
I doubt he'll be with us in 2024-25 - too good for N2!

Compassion for the conned, contempt for the conmen.
Moseley Mauler View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Moseley

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moseley Mauler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2024 at 11:59
Aquile Smith from Moseley on the left wing for me
NeverbeentoChinnor View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeverbeentoChinnor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2024 at 20:20
The selection suggests RAMS had the best pack and Chinnor the best backs. 

I was going to mention Alun Walker with 20 tries but Hayman scored 6 more! A high bar.

Have forwards always scored more tries than backs or is that a modern era trend?
cheshire exile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheshire exile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2024 at 20:24
Hookers from driving mauls, for example Ben Priddey of Camborne in Nat2West.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic