National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

RFU Survey

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RFU Survey
    Posted: 06 Apr 2023 at 07:26
The Future of Professional Rugby in England (tell-us-what-you-think.com)
I haven't looked at it. On principle I reject anything which requires me to surrender private data on an unqualified basis.

Edited by corporalcarrot - 06 Apr 2023 at 08:40
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Intouch View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intouch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2023 at 07:41
Another £200k thrown out the window, when they could have funded the Champ or National 1 better.

Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2023 at 08:21
It is also a terrible survey.
Sweeney Delenda Est
kingsheathlad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsheathlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2023 at 08:23
Agree. An absolute waste. 
Cauliflower ear.
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2023 at 08:39
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

It is also a terrible survey.

I don't know - you can have some fun with the open enders (I just have). 

What I found particularly frustrating was the assumption that there's anything they could do to make me watch Championship rugby that wouldn't involve the club I support being in the Championship.
keep the faith
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2023 at 08:40
Originally posted by Intouch Intouch wrote:

Another £200k thrown out the window, when they could have funded the Champ or National 1 better.

I do this for a living - £10-15k max assuming it's being done externally. However, it's very much the sort of thing that most people ought to be able to do internally. 

Edited by billesleyexile - 06 Apr 2023 at 08:41
keep the faith
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2023 at 09:19
I've wasted my time on FU 'surveys' in the past.
Nothing positive ever seems to result.
Not doing it again.
Our City,
Our Club
One For The Ditch View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote One For The Ditch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2023 at 09:41
Originally posted by corporalcarrot corporalcarrot wrote:

I haven't looked at it. On principle I reject anything which requires me to surrender private data on an unqualified basis.

They will not take a blind bit of notice!
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2023 at 09:46
A box ticked, no-one can accuse them of doing nothing and when any awkward questions are asked later they fudge the answer by saying they are awaiting a report and as it's external, it's not their fault. Seen dozens of them, latest version of walking around all day with a bit of paper in their hand trying to look busy.......................................doing nothing
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2023 at 11:52
Originally posted by tigerburnie tigerburnie wrote:

A box ticked, no-one can accuse them of doing nothing and when any awkward questions are asked later they fudge the answer by saying they are awaiting a report and as it's external, it's not their fault. Seen dozens of them, latest version of walking around all day with a bit of paper in their hand trying to look busy.......................................doing nothing
Exactly.
Our City,
Our Club
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2023 at 12:21

The RFU can't really win. If they issue a survey, people criticise it, if they don't issue a survey, people complain they have not been consulted. 

If 'critics' of any plans don't have their say it plays into the hands of those that support them, therefore presenting a defacto 'win' for the RFU.

In essence you are cutting off your nose to spite your face. 

Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2023 at 13:10
Originally posted by Richard Lowther Richard Lowther wrote:

The RFU can't really win. If they issue a survey, people criticise it, if they don't issue a survey, people complain they have not been consulted. 

If 'critics' of any plans don't have their say it plays into the hands of those that support them, therefore presenting a defacto 'win' for the RFU.

Agree. It's boring, we've heard it all before, and it never feels like anything is going to change, but never pass up an opportunity to feed back to the RFU. 

If nothing else, if the feedback is particularly splenetic it can have the benefit of making you feel better! 

I gave them both barrels in the open ended text boxes this morning. Is it going to change anything? No. Have I had my say regardless? Yes. 
keep the faith
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2023 at 13:13
Originally posted by Richard Lowther Richard Lowther wrote:

I agree with this which is why I posted the link to allow others to contribute if they choose. On a personal basis I wont participate because of the personal data concerns but accept I may be overly cautious in this regard. 

Edited by corporalcarrot - 06 Apr 2023 at 13:15
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
WILD BOAR View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WILD BOAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2023 at 13:23
Sort of agree Richard, but following their complete mis-management of the 'Tackle Law' this may be a way forward.

Will be interesting to see if they publish the findings in full?

Personally I would like to see a 10 team (sustainably funded) Premiership & Championship, along with a 14 team National One (North & South) with at least officials and travel totally funded.

Below this go back to N2 N,M,SW, L&SE...rather than the 3 way split which is a mess.

World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2023 at 13:45
Originally posted by WILD BOAR WILD BOAR wrote:

Sort of agree Richard, but following their complete mis-management of the 'Tackle Law' this may be a way forward.

Will be interesting to see if they publish the findings in full?

Personally I would like to see a 10 team (sustainably funded) Premiership & Championship, along with a 14 team National One (North & South) with at least officials and travel totally funded.

Below this go back to N2 N,M,SW, L&SE...rather than the 3 way split which is a mess.

Can't support that unless it's part of a whole game solution that expressly addresses the gap that will create/widen between levels 2 and 3. And that's not self-interest speaking, I'd have the same issue if dealing with that gap moved it to between levels 3 and 4. 

We need to come up with a smooth pathway from level 9 to level 1 (9-2 as an absolute minimum). While I favour central contracts for England players, I can see the need for a professional club tier to give them game time. I'm unconvinced that there's a need for as many pro clubs as are currently in the premiership, never mind trying to get to 20. I think the future is a smaller, better professional game, and a more equitable settlement for the rest of the game (or, to put it another way, virtually everyone who plays or is involved in rugby in any capacity in the country).

I don't think any solution should involve shovelling the sport's money into the mouths of the Championship clubs at the expense of the other 2000 clubs. 

A small increase in the number of haves vs the enormous number of have nots is not a win for me.
keep the faith
WILD BOAR View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WILD BOAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2023 at 13:56
Yes, agree with central contracts.

Championship to remain semi-pro.
Steve@Mose View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2023 at 14:07
Originally posted by corporalcarrot corporalcarrot wrote:

Having completed this survey they do ask for the first part of your postcode, and at the end ask if you would like to enter your email address to take part in a draw for tickets to a RWC warm-up match.  No requirement to enter your email so you can submit your survey without doing so.
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2023 at 14:35
We could argue on a structure for the game forever and still never make everyone happy.

We need to agree on the basics. Reduce costs, travel time whilst balancing out the 'right' number of fixtures.

We need to understand what the purpose of the Premiership and Championship are. My view is to serve the national team and I would support central contracts. 

I don't think the game can afford twenty top teams, either financially or quality wise to ensure competitive leagues. 

We must ensure that promotion and relegation remains the bedrock of any league system, and based purely on field achievement without imposing restrictions on ground capacity etc. 

Saying all that I don't think a national league structure suits all and some alternatives should be investigated for those that want it. 
Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2023 at 14:37
Surveys are useful, if they are used and action taken on the findings, it's the track record of the RFU that stinks.
Neasham View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neasham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2023 at 15:03
Agree they are useful if the survey comes first then the policy.

Edited by Neasham - 06 Apr 2023 at 15:03
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic